Urundai Kuzhambu is a traditional south indian recipe. It is basically steamed lentil dumplings cooked in tangy onion tomato gravy.
There are several versions of this gravy that I have seen. Some versions have only tomatoes or only onions while others require use ground coconut . The possibilities are endless. This protein rich gravy is a tasty side for rice.
- Tuvar Dal/Pigeon peas, ⅓ cup
- Bengal Gram, ⅓ cup
- Split green gram/Moong dal, ⅓ cup
- Fennel seeds, 1 tsp
- Ginger, ½ inch piece
- Shallots, 10
- Finely chopped coriander leaves, ½ small bunch
- Finely chopped Green Chillies, 1 large
- Salt to taste
- Tomatoes blanched and pureed, 2 large
- Finely chopped Onions, 1 large
- Garlic, 8 large pods
- Sambar Powder, 4 tsps
- Turmeric powder, 2 tsps
- Mustard seeds, 1 tsp
- Curry leaves, 8-10
- Asafetida powder, ¼ tsp
- Oil, 2 tbspns
- Water, 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Wash and clean the lentils
- Soak the lentils for an hour.
- Grind the lentils well along with fennel seeds and ginger, without adding any water.
- Add the finely chopped shallots, green chillies, coriander leaves along with baking soda and salt to the lentil mixture.
- Shape them into small dime sized balls and steam them for 10 minutes on a greased container.!
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- Once it pops add the asafetida and curry leaves.
- Add the whole garlic and fry for a bit.
- Now add the onions and fry them till its light brown in colour.
- Add the finely chopped tomatoes to this and fry till the mixture is pulpy and the oil oozes out from the sides.
- At this stage add the sambar powder and mix well.
- Then add the tamarind paste, salt and water and let the gravy boil well.
- Add lentil dumplings and let it cook in the gravy for 5 mins.
- Serve Hot!
Sambar powder has rice powder which thickens the gravy
Adjust the quantity of tamarind paste depending on how sour the tomatoes are. Start with 1 tsp and increase based on taste.
If the gravy is too thick, add water and give it a boil