Tomato Curry aka Thakkali Kuzhambu is yet another spicy south indian curry (like Poondu Kuzhambu) which goes well with steamed rice, puris, dosas etc…
Tomato Curry (Thakkali Kuzhambu)
Recipe type: Main Course
- Tomatoes, 5-6 medium sized (blanched)
- Garlic, 2-3 pods
- Mustard seeds, 1 tsp
- Asafoetida, ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves, 5-6
- Shallots ,10
- Sambar Powder*, 2 heaped tsps
- Tamarind pulp, 1 tsp
- Oil, 2 tbspns
- [If you do not have sambar powder in hand you can substitute it with
- Chilli powder, 1 tsp
- Coriander powder, 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder, ¼ tsp]
- Blanching tomatoes:
- Make a small cut on the tomatoes place them in boiling water for 10 mins.
- Wash them in cold water and remove the skin of the tomatoes. Puree the tomatoes and keep it aside
- For the curry:
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds, once it pops add asafoetida powder and curry leaves.
- Now add crushed garlic pods and fry it till the raw smell disappears.
- Add the shallots to this and fry it till it is transparent.
- Now add the pureed tomatoes,sambar powder and salt and allow it to boil well.
- At this stage add the tamarind paste to this and let it boil for a few more minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or puris!
The quantity of tamarind paste needs to be adjusted depending on how sour the tomatoes are. So i generally start off with half a tsp gradually increasing it based on requirement.
Leave a Reply