Potato stew is one of the many savoury dishes that is served for the grand meal (sadhya) on the day of onam, vishu and other festivities. As the name suggests potato stew is made using potatoes and also coconut milk which is extensively used in Kerala cooking.
To make the Potato stew, the potatoes are cooked in the coconut milk and then finally topped with coconut oil and curry leaves.
Potato stew can be made with home made coconut milk or store bought coconut milk. Home made coconut milk,however, lends a better flavour to the Potato stew. To check out the recipe for home made coconut milk click on the link. [HOW TO MAKE COCONUT MILK AT HOME]
- 2 medium sized potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced
- 1-2 green chillies, sliced
- 1 cup freshly grated coconut
- ¾ cup Water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 8-10 Curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Extract coconut milk from the freshly grated coconut. Open link given in the text above for instructions on how to make coconut milk.
- Place the potatoes, onions, green chillies in a pressure cooker.
- Add the third milk extracted from the coconuts, salt and pressure cook it for about 5 minutes till the potatoes are cooked.
- To this add the second milk extracted from the coconuts and let it boil well and reduce in quantity.
- Now add the first and the thickest coconut milk, coconut oil and curry leaves.
- As soon as it starts to boil take it off the heat.
- Serve hot!
- Boil the potatoes with ¾ cup of water instead of the third milk.
- To the cooked potatoes add 1 cup of coconut milk and turn off once it boils.