Crostini is an Italian appetizer prepared with toasted bread and vegetarian /non-vegetarian toppings. Though I have been intending to make Chicken Crostini for quite sometime I never got around to doing it, mainly due to my aversion to handling raw meat. This is why all my cooking has been restricted to vegetarian preparations, despite my being a semi non-vegetarian.
Tired of hearing my rants about wanting to make chicken crostini, my mom sent across boiled & shredded chicken last week, much to my surprise. So, after several months of dilly dallying I finally got around to making my first non-vegetarian dish, Chicken Crostini. Chicken Crostini is easy to make and is an ideal appetizer for small dinner parties hosted at home.
Recipe type: Appetizer
- Baguette/Ciabatta bread,1 loaf (sliced ¼ inch thick)
- Boiled & Shredded Chicken,150 grams
- Onions,1 medium sized finely chopped
- Garlic,3-4 large cloves finely chopped
- Ginger,1 small piece finely chopped
- Soya sauce,2 tsps
- Chilli sauce,3 tsps
- Tomato sauce,5-6 tsps
- Leeks,1 small piece sliced
- Vegetable Oil/Olive oil,3 tbspns
- Grated cheese,100 gms
- Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add ginger, garlic and onions.
- Fry till the onions are transparent.
- Now add the boiled & shredded chicken and the sauces.
- Add salt to taste. Note that soya sauce has salt in it, taste & add salt accordingly. Keep the mixture aside.
- In the same pan add ½ tsp of oil and fry the leeks for a minute.
- Brush both sides of the baguette with oil and toast it. Place a generous helping of the chicken topping on the baguette.
- Top it with a little bit of leeks and grated cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350 F /180 C. Arrange the crostinis on a tray and bake for 2-3 minutes till the cheese has melted. Serve hot!!