After much procrastination, I have finally decided to post my first recipe. I am dedicating my first post to my late aunt since am making one of her specialties, “Mushroom on Toast”. Its a very simple dish and a tasty snack. Not ideal for weight watchers though 😉. You can use any kind of bread for this (sourdough/ciabbatta/ baguette or even the regular breakfast bread).
Mushroom on Toast
Recipe type: Appetizer
- Mushroom, 200 grams
- Onions, 1 medium sized
- All Purpose Flour, ½ cup
- Butter, 50 grams
- Milk, 2 cups
- Bread, 10 slices
- Cheese, 4 cubes
- To make white sauce/bechamel sauce:
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the flour little by little while stirring constantly.
- Then add the milk little by little, stirring continuously till the mixture thickens.
- Add salt and pepper as required.
- To make mushroom on toast:
- Add 2 tbspns of oil in a pan and fry the finely chopped onions till it's transparent.
- Now add chopped mushrooms & salt, as required.
- Once the mushrooms get cooked, take it off the stove and mix well with the white sauce.
- Spread a generous portion of this mixture on buttered bread and sprinkle grated cheese on top.
- Grill this in the oven till it becomes slightly brown on top.
- Serve hot!