Generally wholewheat cupcakes or cakes are dense. Although healthier than the cakes using all purpose flour, the density of the cakes puts many off. My family loves this version of wholewheat cupcakes since it tastes yummy and also because it is fluffy and less dense . It is a variant of the lemon cupcakes i had posted earlier.
I won’t say this cupcake is totally guilt free since I’ve topped it with chocolate ganache. I added the ganache for my son since he loves cupcakes with it. I usually send wholewheat cupcakes in his snack box without any icing. But every once in way i like to treat him.
While am a novice in the matters of cake decoration, the taste of cupcakes have not been compromised.The recipe for chocolate ganache has been adapted from Natasha’s kitchen. Pour the ganache on top of the cupcakes (which are at room temperature) when its still warm. The more the ganache cools the thicker it gets and will become difficult to spread.
- Whole wheat flour, 1[1/2] cups
- Butter, 100 grams
- Castor Sugar, ¾ cup
- Eggs, 2
- Baking powder, 1[1/2] tspns
- Baking soda, ½ tsp
- Vanilla essence, 1 tsp
- Buttermilk, ½ cup
- Cooking chocolate, 100 grams
- Medium fat cream, ½ cup
- Preheat the oven at 180C
- Place flour, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl and whisk well.
- Add eggs, butter and sugar in a separate bowl and beat well till the mixture is light.
- Fold the flour into the sugar-butter-egg mixture.
- Add the buttermilk and vanilla essence and mix.
- Transfer the cake batter into cupcake moulds with liners in them.
- Bake at 180C for 30 mins or until ready.
- Place the cupcake on a wire rack and spoon your preferred quantity (~1 to 1.5 tablespoons) of the ganache on top of it.
- Garnish with sprinkles, sliced almonds or chopped cashews.
- Chop the cooking chocolate into small pieces
- Put on a double boiler and let it melt.
- Once melted add the cream and whisk it well.
- Take it off the heat.
- Your chocolate ganache is ready.