This recipe is not a classic tomato spaghetti, instead i call it ‘my style’ tomato spaghetti. Traditionally any tomato based pasta uses a generous portion of tomato sauce, however that is not the case with this recipe since i have used only two tomatoes. The sauce only lightly coats the pasta and gives it a mild flavour.
You can avoid the cheese if need be. It tastes good even without it. It is super easy to make. Perfect for a lazy weekend dinner.
Super easy Tomato Spaghetti!
Recipe type: Main Course
- 200 grams Spaghetti
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, ground
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced
- 1 medium sized capsicum, sliced
- 3 large cloves of garlic,sliced
- ¼ cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons + ½ teaspoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon italian mixed herbs seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons chilli flakes
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- Salt to taste
- Boil water in a large pot. Add salt to the water.
- Cook the pasta in the water as per instructions in the packet.
- Drain the pasta and keep it aside. Save about ¼ cup of pasta water for later.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan.
- Add the sliced garlic and fry it for a bit.
- Now add the sliced onions and fry it till it becomes light pink in colour.
- Add the tomato puree and cook it till the water from the tomatoes dries up and oil oozes from the sides of the tomato mixture.
- Add the capsicum and cook it till its ¾ done.
- Now add the tomato sauce, salt and mix well.
- To this sauce add cooked pasta, pasta water herbs, chilli flakes & the ½ teaspoon of oil and mix well.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- Just before serving, add the grated cheese on top and heat it.
Leave a Reply