Green chilli pickle or Mirchi Thecha is a maharashtrian dish. I had it for the first time when i was at a relatives place a fortnight ago. I simply loved it because of all the different flavours that it brought out.
Mirchi Thecha is generally coarsely ground, however, i ground a little more finely than it usually is. It is no doubt a spicy preparation nevertheless a great tasting one. It gets less spicy a day or two after its made. You can also add a teaspoon or two of roasted peanuts to reduce the heat.
This pickle/chutney can be paired with almost anything. You can use it as a spread for breads or a side for chapatis, dosas, idlis and rice or one can use it to add spice and flavour to any curry.
- Green chillies, 50 grams
- Garlic, 50 grams
- Coriander, a handful
- Lime juice, 1 teaspoon
- Sugar, ½ teaspoon
- Jeera, 1 teaspoon
- Oil, 3 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
- Wash, clean and dry the green chillies, garlic and coriander leaves.
- Coarsely grind the green chillies, garlic and coriander leaves along with jeera, sugar and salt,
- Heat oil in a pan and roast the ground paste for a bit to remove the pungent taste.
- Add the lime juice and mix well.
- Serve with rice, rotis or bread!