Almost a year back i got into “cook healthy and eat healthy” mode. The first thing i did was to replace most of the plastics containers in my kitchen with glass/metal containers and the non stick/aluminium cookware with iron and stainless steel cookware. While i have not done away with all my non stick pans, most of my cooking is done on my trusted iron and stainless steel utensils.
No doubt the iron pans are high on maintenance, but a well cured iron pan is as good as a non stick pan and can make crispy dosas with very little or no oil.
Rava Dosa (you can call it semolina crepes) is one of the south indian dishes that tastes best when served hot and crisp. In the past I have tried making rava dosa several times using different recipes, only to be met with little success. Last month as i was watching a south indian cookery show on TV I learnt the trick to making crispy and yummy dosas. Without further ado, here goes the recipe and the simple trick to making good Rava (Sooji/Semolina) Dosas.
Source: Samayal Samayal
Rava Dosa (Semolina Crepes)
Recipe type: Breakfast
- Rava/Sooji/Semolina, ½ cup
- Rice flour, ½ cup
- Flour (Maida), ½ cup
- Cumin seeds, 1 tsp
- Asafetida, ½ tsp
- Peppercorn, 7-8
- Finely chopped ginger, ½ inch piece
- Finely chopped green chillies, 2-3
- Finely chopped coriander, a handful
- Finely chopped onions, 1 (optional)
- Roughly chopped Curry leaves, 8-10 leaves
- Roughly chopped Cashew nuts, 8-10 pieces
- Water, 3-4 cups
- Sugar, 1 tsp
- Salt to rate
- Oil to make the dosas
- Mix all the ingredients excepting the onions and the oil.
- Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Heat the iron/non stick girdle on high flame.
- Pour 1 tsp of oil onto the pan and brush it well across the pan.
- Now sprinkle the onions across the pan and pour out a large ladle of the dosa batter across the pan.
- You will see a net like appearance across the dosa.
- Cook the dosa on medium-low flame for 10-15 minutes till its golden brown on the base.
- The key to making good rava dosas is patience.
- Do not flip the dosa- patiently wait for the base to cook till golden brown.
- Fold and serve hot with coconut chutney or sambar.