Woodlands in Chennai has two of the most well known vegetarian restaurants in the city. Its restaurants witness patrons of all age groups queuing up to feast upon their south indian delicacies.
Recently I went to woodlands for a meal after a very long time only to notice that they had revamped their menu to introduce a variety of dishes. One such item was Spring Roll Dosa. [For the uninitiated, dosa is a thin pancake made from fermented rice batter.] I ordered it and as i was waiting impatiently for my dosa, i kept thinking what it could be – dosa stuffed with fried spring rolls or spring rolls made with dosa batter. To my surprise, what came was something totally different from what i had expected, it was dosas stuffed with vegetable filling used in spring rolls.
Today i will be sharing the recipe of spring roll dosa. All mommies – i think this is a good way to make your children have vegetables.
- Dosa batter, 2 cups
- Onions, 1 medium sized
- Carrots, 100 grams
- White or Purple Cabbage,100 grams
- Beans,100 grams
- Capsicum, ½
- Green chillies, 1
- Leeks & Celery (optional)
- Ajinomotto, 1 tsp
- Soya sauce, 1 tsp
- Oil, 3 tbspns
- Salt to taste
- Chop the vegetables into thin long strips.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the green chillies and onions till pink.
- Add the other vegetables, except cabbage, and fry well till it is ¾th done.
- Add the cabbage and fry well.
- Now add soya sauce, ajinomotto & salt and mix well.
- Cook until the vegetables are tender yet crispy.
- Pour 2 big spoonsful of dosa on a flat pan and make a thin pancake.
- Once cooked on both sides, keep a generous portion of the vegetable filling in the center and roll it up.
- Serve hot with sambar!