Baking cakes had become like playing a game of darts for me, i never achieved consistent success. To keep my spirits up, i kept blaming my oven for all my failures.
So yesterday when i decided to make Ross Burden’s chocolate beetroot cake ( i found the recipe on a lovely food blog called veggie belly), i was very doubtful of the outcome. After 60 tense minutes of prepping and baking, came out a wonderfully moist and tasty cake.
It is very easy to make and I urge all amateur bakers to try out this recipe. The recipe can be found on Veggie Belly
Chocolate Beetroot cake
Recipe type: Bakes
- Flour, 200 gms
- Baking Soda, 1 ½ tsp
- Cooking chocolate, 85 gms
- Cocoa, 30 gms
- Eggs, 3
- Sugar, 300 gms
- Vegetable Oil, 240 ml
- Cooked beetroot, 300 gms
- Vanilla Essence, 1 tsp
- Salt, a pinch
- Preheat your oven at 180C
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda & salt and keep aside.
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler and keep it aside.
- Beat eggs sugar and oil together.
- Add the cooked & pureed beets, melted chocolate and vanilla essence to the egg mixture.
- Fold in the flour little by little into the cake mixture until just combined.
- Transfer the cake mixture onto a 10 " greased baking tin.
- Bake for 30-35 mins or until done