Karthika Deepam, a festival of lamps, is celebrated in Tamil Nadu and Kerala. It falls in the month of Vrichigam/Karthigai (as per kerala/tamil calender). Houses and streets are lit up with rows of oil lamps in the evening of the festival day.
As a kid i used to excitedly light lamps and place it in a decorative manner outside the house. Now being in a small apartment i decorate my house with fewer lamps.
Cutting to the chase, i decided to make Coconut Laddu on the occasion of Karthika Deepam. The recipe is very simple and the dish can be prepared in ten minutes.
Recipe type: Desserts
- Shredded coconut, 1 cup + 3 Tbspn (for garnishing)
- Condensed milk, ½ cup
- Cardamom Powder, ½ tsp
- Broken Cashew Nuts, 1 tsp
- Clarified butter/Ghee, 2 tspns
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Fry the cashews till golden brown and keep them aside.
- Add the shredded coconut to the same pan and fry for about 2 minutes.
- Now add the condensed milk while stirring constantly.
- In about 3-4 minutes the mixture will start thickening.
- Add the fried cashews and cardamom powder to this and mix well.
- Once the mixture starts leaving the sides take it off the stove and leave it to cool.
- Smear your palm with ghee and make small coconut balls.
- Roll this over dessicated coconut and serve.
Leave a Reply