This midly spiced and wonderfully flavoured rice is one of my personal favourites. This is one of the dishes i learnt from my MIL. It serves best with pakoda kurma – which is basically lentil fritters in a onion tomato gravy.
Coconut flavoured rice
Recipe type: Main Course
- Basmati rice/Long grained rice, 2 small cups
- Coconut milk, 4 cups
- Cardamoms, 2 pods
- Cloves, 2
- Bayleaf, 1
- Cinnamon, small piece
- Onion, 1 large (sliced long)
- Tomato, 1 large
- Pudina leaves, a small handful
- Coriander leaves, a small handful
- Fennel seeds, ½ tbspn
- Oil, 3-4 tbspns
- To be ground:
- Garlic, 2-3 medium sized cloves
- Green chillies, 2
- Wash the rice multiple times till the water comes clear.
- Soak the rice in water for about 30 minutes.
- Add fennel seeds and warm water to freshly grated coconut. Grind it finely and then extract the coconut milk.
- Pour oil in hot pan and add the whole spices (cardamom, cinnamon, bayleaf & cloves).
- Add the onions and saute it till they are translucent.
- Now add the ginger-garlic-green chilly paste and saute it till the raw smell of ginger garlic paste disappears.
- At this stage add the tomatoes and cook it till the tomatoes are soft.
- Now add the mint and coriander leaves and fry these for about a minute.
- Add the drained rice and saute it till the moisture from the rice dries up.
- Finally add the coconut milk and cover the pan and slow cook the rice for ~ 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with any spicy indian curry!
I used one half of a large coconut to make the coconut milk. i got 2 cups of thick first pressed milk and 2 cups of second pressed milk.
Leave a Reply