Cottage cheese or Paneer is a dish that is extensively used in north Indian cooking. Everyone intending on experimenting with Indian cooking should have a good recipe for paneer. While most people buy cottage cheese off the shelf, I feel that store bought cottage cheese cannot match the taste and texture of home-made cottage cheese. The recipe of cottage cheese is similar to that of home-made ricotta cheese, the difference being the texture. While cottage cheese is firmer, ricotta cheese has a fine moist texture.
Home made Paneer - Cottage Cheese
Recipe type: Basics
- Milk, 1 litre
- Sour curds, 1 cup
- Juice from 1 lime
- Boil the milk.
- Once it starts boiling, add the sour curds and lime juice.
- Stir till the cheese separates from the whey.
- Line a colander with a piece of muslin cloth.
- Drain the cottage cheese on the colander to remove the whey.
- Gather the edges of the cloth and fasten them into a knot and allow the whey to drain.
- Now place a heavy object over the cottage cheese (this helps in draining the whey faster) for about ten minutes.
- If the cheese is not for immediate consumption, transfer the cheese to an air tight container and refrigerate.
Leave a Reply